Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Royal Icing



For the cookies, I used the same recipe from my previous post for sugar cookies. This is my first attempt on designing the cookie icing.  The taste is great.  But I got the consistencies of my flooding (white ) icing a little thick, so the blue was not able to moved freely when I tried to make designs with it.  This is from joy of baking, check out the link to watch Stephanie do what I was trying here and see her technique.  If you check the link, Stephanie also have another recipe for royal icing using a meringue powder.  I still have yet to try that.  If I get a successful result,  I will post it here as well.

Royal Icing Using Egg Whites:

2 large (60 grams) egg whites
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups (330 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
For Royal Icing with Egg Whites: In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the egg whites with the lemon juice until combined. Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined and smooth. (The right consistency to cover or "flood" sugar cookies is when you lift the beater, the ribbon of icing that falls back into the bowl remains on the surface for a few seconds before disappearing. Another test is to take a cookie and place a small amount of icing in the center of the cookie. Using a small knife, push the icing to the edge of the cookie. If the icing runs off the edge, thicken the icing by adding a little more confectioners sugar. Conversely, if the icing is too thick, add a little water.) The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as royal icing hardens when exposed to air. Cover with plastic wrap when not in use.

No comments:

Post a Comment