Saturday, June 25, 2011
Spaghetti alla Ceci
According to Rachel Ray, Ceci are chickpeas. This is a classic, simple Italian dinner. Greens dressed with vinegar and oil would make a good side dish. This is from Rachel Ray's Express Lane Meals Book. A meatless spaghetti everybody loves.
1 pound spaghetti
3 tablespoons EVOO, 3 times around the pan
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes ((modified for kids)
3 to 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (I used fresh)
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
A handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, to pass at the table.
1. Bring a big pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt it and cook the spaghetti to al dente.
2. While the spaghetti is cooks, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add EVOO, red pepper flakes, and garlic.
3. Place chickpeas in a food processor and pulse to a fine chop. Add the chickpeas to the skillet with the garlic and season them with the thyme, salt and pepper.
4. Saute them for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the wine or stock and cook down for 30 seconds or so, then stir in the tomatoes and adjust the seasoning.
5. Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. Top the pasta with the parsley and grated cheese.
Posted by KCK Soaps at 9:11 PM