Wednesday, June 8, 2011
Curried Chicken, Vegetables and Couscous Skillet
Couscous is something the "Top Chef" contestants use to make a quick dish. I tried it today and it is a seller. This is from the book "Casseroles".
1 package (16 ounces) frozen vegetable medley, such as broccoli, carrots and cauliflower or bell pepper and onion strips. But as usual I missed this in my last shopping so I use broccoli which I always have.
1 pound chicken tenders
2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8t teaspoon ground red pepper
4 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 can (about 14 ounces) chicken broth
1 cup uncooked couscous
1. Thaw vegetables according to package directions.
2. While vegetables are thawing, place chicken in medium bowl. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon curry powder, garlic salt and red pepper; toss to coat.
3. Heat oil in large deep skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken mixture, spreading in one layer. Cook 5 to 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center, turning occasionally.
4. Transfer chicken to plate; set aside. Add broth and remaining 1 teaspoon curry powder to skillet; bring to a boil over high heat, scraping up browned bits on bottom of skillet.
5. Stir thawed vegetables into skillet; return to a boil. Stir in couscous; top with chicken. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Posted by KCK Soaps at 9:47 PM