The hubby missed quinoa and so I searched for something I could do and this was what I picked from ifoodreal. He said he won't mind having this everyday.
- 2 cups dry quinoa
- 2 lbs extra lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 4-5 large handfuls spinach, chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 cups light cheddar or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp thyme, dry
- 2 tsp basil, dry
- Salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Green onions and diced tomatoes for garnish (optional)
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions and undercook by 4 minutes. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees and spray 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Preheat skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add turkey and sautee for 5 minutes breaking into pieces with the spatula. Drain the excess liquid and add to the bowl with quinoa.
- Return skillet to the heat and spray with cooking spray again. Add garlic and onions, and fry until golden brown. Add spinach and sauté until it's wilted. Transfer to a bowl with quinoa and turkey.
- Into the same bowl, add tomato sauce, bread crumbs, 2 cups of cheese, thyme, basil, salt and ground pepper to taste. Mix enough to combine.
- Transfer the mixture in a baking dish, sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake for 25 minutes. Serve immediately, no need to let the casserole cool down.
- Optional: sprinkle with diced tomatoes, green onions, a dollop of Greek yogurt or salsa.
Storing Instructions: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Freeze divided into individual portions, in an air tight container for up to 1 month.