As I was searching for an entertaining read appropriate for this time of the year, I decided on a book by Rene Gutteridge. I like Listen, the first book I read written by Rene Gutteridge. Going through the list, I decided on The Ultimate Gift just because it is the time of giving.
The book is a novelization of the movie, so I rented it as soon as I finished the book. The movie is based on a book written by Jim Stovall, a renowned speaker and author with whom Forbes says is one of the most extraordinary men of our era.
The Ultimate Gift in this book and movie is about Jason. His billionaire grandfather just died. As his will is executed, every family member receives their inheritance then stomps out of the room all complaining. Jason on the other hand, has to complete and receive 12 gifts before he can get his ultimate gift.
A very easy and fast read. Complete with love, some action, some laughs and cries and is motivational without being preachy. Definitely thought provoking. I highly recommend this book to everybody young and old.
The 12 Gifts as written at the end of the book:
1. The Gift of Work = He who loves his work never labors.
2. The Gift of Money = Money is nothing more than a tool. It can be a force of good, a force of evil, or simply be idle.
3. The Gift of Friends = It is a wealthy person, indeed, who calculates riches not by gold but by friends.
4. The Gift of Learning = Education is a lifelong journey whose destination expands as you travel.
5. The Gift of Problems = Problems can only be avoided by exercising good judgement. Good judgement can only be attained by experiencing life's problems.
6. The Gift of Family = Some people are born into wonderful families. Others have to find or create them. Being a member of a family is a priceless privilege that costs nothing but love.
7. The Gift of Laughter = Laughter is good medicine for the soul. Our world is desperately in need of more such medicine.
8. The Gift of Dreams = Faith is all that dreamers need to see the future.
9. The Gift of Giving = The only way you can truly get more out of life for yourself is to give part of yourself away.
10. The Gift of Gratitude = In those time when we yearn to have more in our lives, we should dwell on the things we already have. In doing so, we will often times find that our lives are already full to overflowing.
11. The Gift of Day = Life at its essence boils down to one day at a time. Today is the day!
12. The Gift of Love = Love is a treasure for which we can never pay. The only way we keep it is to give it away.