A Filipino friend brought this comfort food to a gathering and I just have to make it. She told me how she did her version and my family loves it. But to be able to share it in this blog I found a recipe from panlasangpinoy that is as close to what she taught me.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 36 ounces rice washing
- 1/2 pc small green papaya, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 thumb ginger, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- Hot pepper leaves
Instead of the green papaya, we use chayote. I did not add any fish sauce. But added a bunch of lemongrass and spinach instead.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and ginger
- Put-in the chicken and cook until color turns light brown
- Add the fish sauce and mix well
- Pour-in the rice washing and put to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the green papaya wedges and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the hot pepper leaves
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy