This is my first jelly roll. As you can see, I needed more practice or missed some technique in rolling. From panlasangpinoy. Check out the link for a better looking jelly roll. This recipe is easy to follow, even for someone like me, who is just starting out in the kitchen and learning as we go along. Plus you can't go wrong with sweets, everybody loves SWEET.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup jelly (use your favorite brand and type)
4 pieces raw eggs, whites separated from the yolk
13 1/2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine all-purpose flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks and vanilla extract. Whisk (using an electric mixer) while gradually adding 5 ½ tablespoons of granulated white sugar. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites while gradually adding the remaining 8 tablespoons of granulated white sugar until soft peaks form.
5. Fold-in the egg yolk mixture with the egg white mixture. Gradually sprinkle the flour and baking powder mixture while folding.
7. Put inside the oven and bake for 13 to 16 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down.
9. Sprinkle confectioners sugar on the top part and distribute evenly.
10. Remove the cake from the tray and place in a parchment paper or cloth (the part with confectioners sugar should be facing down).
11. Spread Jelly over the cake (the side opposite the one coated with sugar).
12. Roll the cake gently starting from one of the edges.
13. Trim both ends of the rolled cake. Transfer to a serving plate.