Friday, March 4, 2011
Creamy Potato Soup
"yummy" and "very good" that is all I hear from both my 2 and 6 year olds. From magazine cutout I have stashed.
4 cups Chicken Stock
2 large carrots, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup milk
5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup butter
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2/3 cup crumbled crisp cooked bacon slices
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent ( do not scorch or brown onions).
2. Stir in minced garlic until warm. Stir in flour until smooth, then gradually add in stock. Add in carrots, celery, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Heat through, then stir in milk.
4. Place cubed potatoes in slow cooker with hot vegetable mixture. Place bay leaf in pot. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours until potatoes are tender. Remove bay leaf.
5. Transfer 4 cups of soup into blender and puree. Then stir pureed soup back in slow cooker. Stir in cheese and bacon. Serve once cheese is melted. Top each serving with additional shredded cheddar chesse and garnish if desired.
*I just simmer my soup in the pot for over 2 hours at very low heat. Then continue on with number 5.
Posted by KCK Soaps at 2:04 PM